What Happens if You Eat Moldy Cake

Sinking your teeth into a piece of moldy cake isn’t the best experience in the world. The good news is, you’re not likely to get sick from it. Of course, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Monitor your symptoms for the next day or two. If there is any diarrhea or vomiting, seek treatment.

Hey there, cake lovers! My name is Michelle, and I am a cake baking enthusiast. Luckily, I haven’t had the disturbing experience of eating a piece of moldy cake. That doesn’t mean I haven’t researched it, though (especially after eating a bit of a moldy tortilla – ew).

If you’ve just realized the cake you ate was moldy, don’t panic. This article is here to tell you what happens if you eat moldy cake – and most of the time, nothing will happen. So don’t worry just yet.

Who wants to talk about moldy cake? (Nobody?!)

What Happens if You Ate Moldy Cake?

The simple answer? Likely nothing. But I understand that is not very comforting for someone who has just eaten a slice of moldy cake. 

The thing is, your stomach is loaded with acids that can take on just about anything – including mold. 

So, for most people with a healthy immune system, a bite of moldy cake will be disintegrated and never heard of again. (Although you will likely still think about it here and there).

It’s not always so cut-and-dry, though. While some mold is perfectly safe to eat, others are not. And there is no telling what type of mold chain is growing on your cake. Certain molds contain mycotoxins (fungal poison) or other harmful bacteria like gangrenous ergotisms or Stachybotrys.

What should you do?

What to Do if You Ate Mody Cake

If you have had the unfortunate event of accidentally eating a piece of moldy cake, the first thing to do is relax. Yes, it’s gross. But if you get sick because of the thought of eating the moldy cake, you won’t know if you’re sick because of the moldy cake. 

Look for Signs of Illness

If you’re going to react to the moldy cake, you will develop symptoms that resemble food poisoning within the next day (or possibly two days). Some of these symptoms include:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Some people may also discover they have an allergy to the certain strain of mold found on the cake. This is especially common in those who have asthma or other respiratory-related issues. Allergic reactions can exasperate these issues.

If you are reacting to the moldy cake, either throwing up or allergy-related, it is important to seek treatment right away. 

Throw the Cake Away

Ok, so there is just a little bit of mold. It’s okay to throw the moldy part away and dig into the rest of that beautiful and delicious cake, right? Wrong! Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. 

If a single inch of your cake has mold, you need to throw the whole cake away. Mold spores travel through the entire food product. It just takes them a little bit longer to start showing their “true colors.”

I love this video because it provides a great enactment of what happens when mold is on a food product.


Now you know what happens if you eat moldy cake. It could be something, could be nothing. But if you still have some mold-inspired questions, I’ve got you covered. Check out these frequently asked questions below.

What to do after eating mold?

First, take a deep breath and forgive yourself. Then, wait for any potential signs of allergic reaction or illness. If anything is going to happen, it will likely occur on the same day or the following day.

Can moldy food make you sick?

Yup, it sure can. And that’s why you need to monitor yourself after eating anything with mold on it.

Is it OK to eat bread with a little bit of mold?

Nope. Moldy bread is the same thing as moldy cake. Ditch the entire loaf of bread and buy or make a new one from scratch.

Final Thoughts

Eating a piece of moldy cake is disgusting, but luckily it shouldn’t make you sick. If you have any signs of illness or allergy within 48 hours, it is important to seek treatment right away. 

About Michelle
I have been a lover of sweets since day one. This led me on a self-taught baking journey starting at the age of 13. It's been over 10 years since the start of my baking adventures, and I’ve learned a lot along the way. Now, people rave about my delectable treats, whether it’s a chocolate cake or a strawberry crepe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *