There’s nothing more unsatisfying than taking a bite of a piece of bread, only to notice halfway through that it’s covered in a fuzzy, disgusting substance. The good news is, eating a little bit of moldy bread likely isn’t going to harm you – you will likely just feel a little nauseous.
Hey, there, readers! My name is Michelle, and if you didn’t know already, I’m a lover of bread. I will be honest with you, though – I have accidentally eaten a few bites of moldy bread. Yes, it was disturbing and gross. But it wasn’t anything I needed to rush to the ER for, thank goodness.
If you’ve just sunk your teeth into a moldy slice of bread, don’t panic. Instead, read the rest of this article to find out what to do when you accidentally eat moldy bread.
Let’s talk all the buzz about the fuzz.
- What to do if You Accidentally Eat Moldy Bread
- Final Words
What to do if You Accidentally Eat Moldy Bread
Moldy bread isn’t exactly appetizing, but it doesn’t mean you should try to scrub your tongue with a wire brush or race off to the hospital. In fact, you don’t really need to do anything, especially if you have a healthy immune system.
The environment of your stomach is so harsh and acidic that most fungus and molds will be destroyed on contact. With that said, your stomach will hardly notice that you’ve eaten something “gross” such as mold, and it will be digested as usual.
Essentially, this is what you should do if you accidentally eat moldy bread:
- Eat the bread
- Feel ashamed and grossed out that you ate moldy bread
- Scrunch up your face in disgust
- Throw the whole loaf away
- Try and think about something else
- Watch for signs that extend beyond nausea
- Be a bit more cautious of mold next time
It’s true that you might feel some nauseousness, but it’s likely not due to the mold itself. It’s more because you’re entirely grossed out that you ate the mold. That’s why I recommend trying to take your mind off of it ASAP.
Can You Get Sick from Eating Mold?
It is very, very unlikely that you will get sick from eating mold. While you may get a slight stomach ache and feel a little nauseous, you shouldn’t experience any other symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea.
On the off chance you do have worsening symptoms that just won’t quit; you should see a doctor right away. The doctor may prescribe an anti-nausea medicine. They may also go the opposite route and prescribe something that causes diarrhea and vomiting to flush your system.
However, don’t panic while reading that. There is such a small chance of this occurring. Really, the only possible way this could happen is if you ate a ton of moldy bread with Mycotoxins. And let’s be real – are you really going to keep eating fuzzy bread? I doubt it.
There is a chance that you could also be allergic to mold. These types of allergies are not common, though, and they shouldn’t be life-threatening. They may require doctor treatment, but it is only temporary, and you should heal up just fine.
Can the Rest of the Bread Be Salvaged?
Okay, tossing an entire batch of bread because one piece had mold sounds like a big waste of money and food. I hate wasting food. So, I have even thought about simply cutting out the moldy area and salvaging the rest of the bread.
Through research, though, I have learned that you should never cut off the mold and eat the rest of the bread. That’s because mold has roots that will invade bread. And, since bread is so soft, fluffy, and easily penetrable, mold spores can spread quickly.
It’s true even though you may not be able to see the mold – yet. This is a super fun video that teaches about what happens to the entire loaf of bread when mold starts growing.
Eating moldy bread won’t kill you and shouldn’t even make you feel sick beyond a little bit of nauseousness. If you’re still curious about what to do when you accidentally ate moldy bread, check out these frequently asked questions below.
How long does it take to get food poisoning from moldy bread?
If you end up getting sick from moldy bread, it will likely happen within a few hours of consuming it. Remember that this is very unlikely, though, and tends only to occur when someone has consumed large amounts of moldy bread.
Should I make myself throw up if I ate moldy bread?
You might throw up just because you discovered you just ate the mold. After all, it’s pretty repulsive. However, you don’t have to make yourself throw up after eating moldy bread. Due to the stomach’s harsh and acidic environment, you will digest a bit of mold like anything else.
Is bread mold penicillin?
It may come as a surprise, but that mold growing on your bread (and other products, for that matter) can be penicillin. I don’t recommend trying to eat it to get rid of any ailments, though.
Can toasting bread kill mold?
No, actually the opposite. By heating the bread, you create an environment that allows the mold spores to spread more rapidly. So, don’t think that just because you toast your moldy bread, it’s good to go. Toss the whole loaf and buy fresh!
What is the green mold on bread?
The type of mold that grows on bread and comes out green is known as Aspergillus.
Ingesting moldy bread likely will not harm you, but that doesn’t mean you should risk it. Give your bread a good lookover before consuming. If you accidentally eat a bite or two of moldy bread, don’t panic. Simply throw the entire loaf away and relax.
Have you ever eaten a bite of moldy bread? Did you get sick? What did you do? Share your stories with us in the comment section!About Michelle