How Long After Eating Moldy Bread Will I Get Sick

If you ate a piece of moldy bread, you might be concerned. Am I going to get sick? How soon after eating moldy bread will I get sick? The good news is, you’re likely not going to get sick at all. On the off chance you do, you will know within a few short hours.

Hi, there! My name is Michelle, and I love bread, all kinds. However, I would be lying if I said I’ve never eaten a piece of moldy bread. I only realized halfway through, and needless to say, I was repulsed. I had to figure out whether or not I would get sick and, more importantly, when.

If you have just found out you accidentally ate a piece of moldy bread, don’t panic. You’re likely not going to get sick at all. This article will explain why you don’t necessarily need to worry while also explaining what happens if you are really sick. 

Who’s ready to talk about moldy bread?

How Long After Eating Moldy Bread Will I Get Sick?

I will start by saying this: it is very unlikely that you get sick from eating a little bit of moldy bread. As long as you have a fairly healthy immune system and only ate a little bit of the moldy bread, you should be able to digest it like any other food.

But what if that’s not the case? What if you ingested a lot of moldy bread, and the bread contained harmful mycotoxins? Well, then you might end up getting sick. And the sickness will appear a few hours after consuming the moldy bread.

What Are the Symptoms to Look for After Eating Moldy Bread?

If you’re going to get sick from consuming moldy bread, you will know within a few hours. But what should you be looking for specifically? It’s pretty simple, actually. You will be looking for common food poisoning symptoms, such as:

  • Stomach cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Weakness
  • Sometimes, irritation of the mouth and throat

Keep in mind that if your only symptom is nausea, but it is not progressing into any of the above-listed symptoms, you should be fine. Nausea is common after consuming moldy bread, but it’s more because you’re disgusted by what you just ate rather than poisoning.

What to do With Moldy Bread?

Don’t think your bread can be salvaged – it can’t. Even if there was only one slice with mold growing on it, it’s best to get rid of the entire loaf ASAP. Don’t risk it.

Mold has roots that penetrate bread. Since bread is soft and fluffy, mold has no problems penetrating it. So, even if you can’t see it yet, mold spores will still be present in the entirety of the bread loaf. Throw the entire thing away.

FAQs

If you end up getting sick from eating moldy bread, you will know within a few short hours. Want to learn more about the topic of moldy bread? Check out these commonly asked questions below.

What should I do if I ate moldy bread?

Essentially, nothing. You don’t need to do anything as long as you have a healthy immune system and only eat a small amount. Your stomach is in a harsh and acidic environment and will be able to digest mold along with any other foods.

Can smelling moldy bread make you sick?

It may come as a shock, but smelling moldy bread that contains mycotoxins can make you sick. That’s because you’re breathing in the spores, which can cause an allergic reaction and harm the respiratory system. It’s best not to smell or eat moldy bread – just toss it in the garbage.

Should I make myself throw up if I ate moldy bread?

No, you don’t need to force yourself to throw up if you have eaten moldy bread (although you might want to – after all, eating moldy bread is quite disgusting). Your stomach should have no problem handling the mold and digesting it along with other foods.

What happens if you eat expired bread?

Just because your bread is expired doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. Look for signs that the bread has gone bad, such as a hardened texture or bad flavor. If there is any sign of mold, the bread should be thrown out immediately. Your best bet is to discard expired bread and buy fresh.

Final Words

Moldy bread isn’t appetizing, but sometimes you don’t notice it until it’s too late. If that’s the case, you should be fine. If you are going to get sick from eating moldy bread, the symptoms should arise only a few short hours after consumption. Seek medical help if necessary.

Have you ever eaten moldy bread and got sick? Did you have to go to the ER? Share your moldy bread stories with us!

About Michelle
I have been a lover of sweets since day one. This led me on a self-taught baking journey starting at the age of 13. It's been over 10 years since the start of my baking adventures, and I’ve learned a lot along the way. Now, people rave about my delectable treats, whether it’s a chocolate cake or a strawberry crepe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

  • Gwen Dockus

    I ate bread from a package that I threw away moldy slices. This was below wherethe bread was moldy.Ii also fed some of the bread that I was eating to my dog.

    Reply
    • Michelle

      Hi Gwen,
      I hope you didn’t end up getting sick!
      Happy baking,
      Michelle

      Reply
  • Carol Seiler

    My female friend age 64 was fed moldy bread for about 2 and a half yrs. It was a very dark bread that you couldn’t see the mold on without very close inspection which I discovered by accident and if I hadn’t, the woman would still be feeding it to her. Joy, my friend, has headaches every single day, all the time and body aches and blood in runny stools. The culprit lady, also having eaten the bread has pains in her inner arms and “saddle pains” in the inner thighs. I’m buying Probiotics for Joy each month according to info obtained on Google which said they had to continue with the Probiotics for 2 years. The culprit refuses to buy the Probiotics seeming to prefer the pain.

    Reply
    • Angie

      That’s really unfortunate 🙁 This is why paying attention to the subtleties is so important. I hope they’re better now!

      Angie

      Reply
  • Larry

    I was trying to stock up because of COVID. I had read that putting bread in the refrigerator makes it mold faster. I have a breadbox in my kitchen drawer so I stored 5 loaves of bread in it. I discovered it starting to mold and put them in the freezer. I discovered it because I was hungry so I figured I could toast it and it would be ok. I had 5 slices of pumpernickel. Wish me luck.

    Reply
    • Michelle

      Oh, no! We are wishing you well, Larry, and hope you’re alright.

      Reply
      • Doris

        Ate some moldy corn bread before I realized it had green mold on it. What should I do?

        Reply
        • Michelle

          Hi Doris,
          I hope you didn’t end up getting sick!
          Happy baking,
          Michelle

          Reply